Design for Hackers Reverse Engineering Beauty

Design for Hackers Reverse Engineering Beauty


Never having been one to blindly accept convention, I asked why it even

mattered if I had decent handwriting. It’s probably no surprise that I thought

handwriting was “stupid,” even “a waste of time.” I was too young to respect

the merits of something at which I had no hope of succeeding (though seriously, grading on penmanship is stupid and a waste of time).

No matter how many times I asked, I was always told the same thing: “When

you grow up and get a job, you’ll need to be able to communicate clearly. You

need good handwriting to communicate clearly.”

Th ank goodness computers took over. My handwriting is still terrible. Oh, I

can draw letters, but I certainly can’t write them.

Today I understand that at the root of my educators’ intentions was something valuable: Clear communication is critical to success. Luckily for me, I rarely have to rely upon my handwriting to communicate clearly. I can simply type an e-mail, make a slide presentation, or write a book, and it will be rendered in crisp, beautiful typography. Many of these letterforms were perfected over 500 years ago, and they still carry words with strength and clarity today.

Additionally, I have spent years studying the subtleties of visual communication.

I passed countless boring Nebraska days as a child, drawing in my room. I got

my degree in graphic design, while exhausting the university library’s supply of

typography and design books – skipping keggers so I could conduct

experiments with typography and geometry. I studied the very origins of

modern typography in the ruins of the ancient Roman Empire. I’ve even

discussed the hidden meaning of something as simple as a brick or a piece of

wood, while working at an architecture fi rm. Finally, I’ve implemented the

fruits of all this practice and analysis in the fast-paced environment of Silicon

Valley startups. Design and visual communication is so deeply embedded in my brain that I’m hardly aware of its presence. My handwriting still sucks, though.



Download Book   :   http://adf.ly/1ciCh8

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire